Sigiriya or Sinhagiri (Lion Rock ) is an ancient rock fortress located in the northern Matale District near the town of Dambulla in the Central Province, Sri Lanka. The name refers to a site of historical and archaeological significance that is dominated by a massive column of rock nearly 200 metres (660 ft) high. According to the ancient Sri Lankan chronicle the Culavamsa, this site was selected by King Kasyapa (477 – 495 CE) for his new capital. He built his palace on the top of this rock and decorated its sides with colourful frescoes. On a small plateau about halfway up the side of this rock he built a gateway in the form of an enormous lion. The name of this place is derived from this structure —Sīhāgiri, the Lion Rock. The capital and the royal palace was abandoned after the king's death. It was used as a Buddhist monastery until the 14th century.
The Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage is located northwest of the town of Kegalle, halfway between the present commerciel capital Colombo and the ancient royal residence Kandy in the hills of central Sri Lanka. There are about 90 elephants under protection. The orphanage is visited daily by many Sri Lankan and foreign tourists. It is most popular place among the foreign tourists. There is no place in the world like this.
This is very beautiful and calm location. Middle there's a large lake surrounded by a tea plantation. Road is bit rocky and bit hard to reach through vehicles but of course you can drive through the path.. There's a separate parking area at the location. The view is amazing and cool breeze will give you a heavenly comfort.
Ambuluwawa peak situated in the center of Gampola Kingdom established by the great Sinhala King Buvanekabahu IV. (1341-1357 AD) was hitherto not put into any use. Height of the peak trom the mean sea level is 365 feet and from the Gampola town is 1965 feet Mayura Sandesa, the messenger poem written in the 14th Century describes this enchanting rock and the surroundings
Dambulla cave temple also known as the Golden Temple of Dambulla is a World Heritage Site (1991) in Sri Lanka, situated in the central part of the country. This site is situated 148 kilometres (92 mi) east of Colombo and 72 kilometres (45 mi) north of Kandy. It is the largest and best-preserved cave temple complex in Sri Lanka. The rock towers 160 m over the surrounding plains.There are more than 80 documented caves in the surrounding area. Major attractions are spread over five caves, which contain statues and paintings.